top of page


What are the Building Regulations and Building Control?

The Building Regulations are minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building. They are developed by the Government and approved by Parliament.

The main function of Building Control is to ensure compliance with the Building Regulations.

When do I need Building Regulations approval?

Building work as defined in the Building Regulations will normally need approval from a Building Control Body. Examples of the type of works that need approval from a Building Control Body:

  • Extensions
  • Loft conversions
  • Garage conversions
  • Underpinning
  • Cavity wall insulation

For work involving the installation of certain types of services and fittings, tradesmen who are registered with a Competent Person Scheme are able to self-certify their work. This means that you won't need to separately notify a Building Control Body.


Who is responsible for meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations?

Whoever carries out the building work should be responsible for ensuring that the work is compliant with the Building Regulations. However, responsibility ultimately lies with the building owner, who may be served a notice if work doesn't comply with the Building Regulations.

What procedures can be used to get Building Regulations approval?

Building Regulations Approval can be obtained using one of the following three procedures:

  • Full plans application - where drawings and other related information are submitted and a formal decision is given well before the building works start.
  • Building notice application - where minimal information is submitted and no formal decision is given. Work is inspected while in progress and approved on completion.
  • Regularisation application - where retrospective approval is sought for work carried out without Building Regulations approval.

If you use an Approved Inspector you should jointly notify your Local Authority that an Approved Inspector is carrying out the building control function.

Please contact us should you need further information or assistance in respect of the above.

bottom of page